Bootmgr is missing error occurred due to corrupt and misconfigured files, hard drive and OS upgrade, corrupt hard drive sector address, Outdated BIOS, and damaged or loose hard drive interface cables, etc. These are the possible reasons behind bootmgr is missing windows 10. In other words, it’s trying to boot from a non-bootable source.
The “BOOTMGR is missing” error displays after the computer is turned on. Are you receiving the Missing Boot Manager error? This error is very irritating. Don’t panic! If your bootmgr file is missing that doesn’t necessarily mean that you lost any data.
There are a number of possible causes for bootmgr error. It simply means that your boot manager is missing, nothing more right now. This fix works on all major Windows versions.The main work of this Bootmgr is to control boot volume, help you when a computer starts to load pre-installed windows.
Fix Bootmgr is Missing in Windows 10 / 8 / 7
Please verify all of your external USB devices are disconnected before trying any solution. This fix works on all Windows versions including Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, Windows 10. Windows Boot Manager or BOOTMGR is located in your computer’s operating system boot volume (Mainly C:\ drive). Bootmgr controls boot volume which helps to start winload.exe when a computer starts to load pre-installed windows on the processor.
your Windows 7 or Vista computer has encountered the dreaded “BOOTMGR is missing” error, you aren’t alone. If the problem isn’t hardware related you can fix it with relative ease as long as you have a Windows DVD handy. And Even if you have the Windows 7 Boot Repair Disk.
The day before yesterday I was testing out a program with several system utilities built in. One of its components left my computer in a bit of a mess – no icons anywhere and other assorted woes. I had set a system to restore point before I ran the program, so I thought I’d do a system restore. System restore gave me a message that it couldn’t restore my files. I decided to restore a disc image I had made a short while back. When I booted up the computer I got a message:
- BOOTMGR is missing
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
I stared at it the white letters on the black background for a few minutes, while the cursor blinked back at me. After some searching, I had some solutions.
One user posted in Windows 10 Forum related bootmgr,
After a restart recently, my computer wouldn’t boot in to Windows 10. At the time I didn’t have a Windows 10 installation media so I tried using boot tools on the Ultimate Boot CD to no avail.
Method 1: Repair bootmgr via Command Prompt (cmd)
If Windows keeps loading X:/Windows/System32 – try to change to the C or D drive, enter C: and hit Enter.
If that doesn’t work, enter chkdsk c: /f /r which will repair your C partition.Enter the following command to fix bootmgr is missing an issue.
Type in the following commands:
Fix BOOTMGR is missing Windows 10
Method 2: Run Automatic Repair
- Insert the Windows 10 bootable CD or DVD and restart your PC.
- When prompted to Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, click any key on the keyboard.
- Select your language preferences, and click Next. Click Repair your computer in the bottom-left.
- On Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot and then click Advanced option.
- Wait til the Windows Automatic/Startup Repairs complete.
- Restart and you have successfully fix BOOTMGR is missing error.
Method 3: Use bootrec.exe to rebuild the BCD
bootrec.exe is a tool built in the Windows Recovery Environment that you can use to rebuild the BCD. Here are the steps for accessing bootrec.exe to fix bootmgr is missing windows 10 error.
- Insert Windows 10, 7 or Vista install disc
- Restart computer and boot from the CD
- Press any key at the Press any key to boot from CD or DVD
- Choose Repair your computer after you select the language, time and keyboard
- Select your Windows installation drive (usually C:\) and Click Next
- Select cmd in the System Recovery Options and type bootrec /rebuildbcd command.
Hope this article on bootmgr is missing windows 10 will fix the issue. Comment below if you have any problems.
Related Windows 10 Errors: